Spanish Language/Translation

Question
I was wondering what the difference between Ojala fuera realidad and deseo fuera realidad?

Answer
Hi Julie!

In terms of meaning, I would say the two are pretty equivalent, although we could examine some subtle differences if what you need to do is translate them differently.

Ojalá is not a verb, so while the person who says it is expressing the idea that they wish something were true, they aren't actually conjugating a verb in the first person.  So, while the most common idea to express the meaning in English might be "I wish that were true" or "I wish things were like that", a more direct translation would be something like "If only that were true/If only things were that way" or "God willing that were true/things were that way"

The second: "deseo fuera realidad"... The verb "desear" if conjugated in the yo form is "deseo", so if that is the complete sentence, then you could translate it as "I wish that where true/I wish things were like that".  The use of "deseo" as a first person present tense conjugation in that context isn't so common, though.  (If you put the expression in google in quotes, you will mostly find expressions like "si tan solo mi deseo fuera realidad", which means "if only my wish were to come true" and in that sense they are using the noun form of "un deseo = a wish"

Are these sentences you wrote?  Or are you translating a text?

Best,

Brandee  

Spanish Language

Brandee Strickland