Spanish Language/pareja

if someone says "quiero que eres mi pareja y estamos muy divertido" is it different then saying "quiero que estas mo pareja....."?  Also does "pareja" mean partner for the game or partner as in significant other?

Hi Julie!

I just happened to be checking my email and saw your question arrive, so I'll answer quickly before I head to work!

The grammar of the statement is a bit off, as after "quiero que" you need to use the subjunctive, so "quiero que seas mi pareja" would be more grammatically correct.  I would use "ser" and not "estar" with that statement, so it's okay in that sense.  

The "estamos muy divertida" doesn't make sense... If you want to say "we'll have fun" you could say "y que lo pasemos bien"  or "y será divertido."  

Pareja could mean partner in a game or activity or significant other... it just depends on the context.

Hope that helps.

Spanish Language

Brandee Strickland

I can answer questions about the Spanish language itself, as I studied Spanish academically and also spent a significant amount of time living in Chile (as a teacher of English). I can also help with issues of translation, and with interpreting slang or other cultural anecdotes. As an experienced teacher, of both EFL and Spanish, I can answer questions as well about teaching, classroom practice, and the use of technology.

I am a native speaker of English but have studied Spanish since a young age, as well as living in Chile for 5 years. I learned Spanish as a student myself, and have also taught introductory and intermediate level Spanish courses both privately and at the University level. At the graduate level, I have studied linguistics and sociolinguistics, as well as focusing on language teaching and the use of technology in the classroom.

University of Calgary, Canada; Universidad de Concepcion, Chile

Strickland, B., & O'Brien, M. G. (2013). A Review of the Literature on Technology in Second and Foreign Language Learning. Calgary: University of Calgary. Strickland, B. (Summer 2012). Communities of practice in the language classroom: Theory and reality. ETAS Journal. Strickland, B. (2009). De Gardner a Bajtin: La comunicacion mediada por ordenador y su impacto en la clase de lenguas. University of Calgary (Canada), ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing. MR54572. Strickland, B. (2009). El mito de Narciso en la poesía española de los Siglos de Oro. Espéculos: Revista de estudios literarios, 40.

I have an undergraduate degree in Spanish and Psychology from Bowdoin College in the U.S. I completed an M.A. in Spanish and Second Language Acquisition and a PhD dissertation in the same field, both at the University of Calgary in Canada and currently working as an Assistant Professor at the Universidad de Concepción in Concepción, Chile.