Spanish Language/Pareja

Question
If someone says "quiero que eres mi pareja y estamos muy divertido" what does it mean? Is it different then if they say "quiero que estas mu pareja...."? Does partner mean life partner or partner for the game?

Answer
Hi Julie,

Thanks for your question. I am just wondering if this is something that you have heard somewhere or if this is just a supposition as the grammar is incorrect.

The correct way of saying this phrase would be "quiero que seas mi pareja" as querer que takes the subjunctive. You cannot actually say "quiero que estÚs mi pareja." Ser pareja is the set expression meaning to be one's partner. It will mean partner in the sense of a long term relationship.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Spanish Language

Lauren O' Hagan