Spanish Language/Pareja

If someone says "quiero que eres mi pareja y estamos muy divertido" what does it mean? Is it different then if they say "quiero que estas mu pareja...."? Does partner mean life partner or partner for the game?

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your question. I am just wondering if this is something that you have heard somewhere or if this is just a supposition as the grammar is incorrect.

The correct way of saying this phrase would be "quiero que seas mi pareja" as querer que takes the subjunctive. You cannot actually say "quiero que estÚs mi pareja." Ser pareja is the set expression meaning to be one's partner. It will mean partner in the sense of a long term relationship.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Spanish Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I consider myself a native speaker in Spanish after studying the language for many years, using it on a daily basis at home and having last year obtained my DELE C2 - the highest possible qualification in Spanish from the Instituto Cervantes. I am very confident to answer any questions about the Spanish language. I can also answer specific questions related to Andalucia and the Andalucian dialect as I have a profound knowledge of this area.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) C2 (Native Level) DELE Diploma from Instituto Cervantes Grade A A-level in Spanish My partner is Spanish so Spanish is the main language spoken at home. I also spend many months in Spain (Andalucia) each year with my in-laws. I have translated and proofread many Spanish documents including CVs for art academies and translations of GCSE papers from French to Spanish for ZigZag Education.

El Pensador, Bristol University

MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies DELE C2 in Spanish. CILS C1 in Italian CELTA qualified A Level Spanish