Special Diets/i need help!

I used to eat 1000 calories, now i eat 1500 calories. I used to be slim, now obviously iv'e gained weight. i'm trying to exercise to lose this weight, but every exercise, even cardio, is giving my muscles! it's impossible for me to lose weight, i just keep getting muscular. why is this happening? how can i fix it?

Dear Emily,

I normally do not answer questions regarding weight loss, for they are seldom holistic questions - and holism is my expertise. But I must respond to you with the very strong advice to seek expert medical-nutritional help.

Without more details about you no other expert on  line can comment properly on your situation, but in general, though, your calorie intake is alarmingly low. For unsupervised weight loss the intake is about 1800. If you are normal or thin 2000 healthy calories are fine, especially if you take regular exercise and eat three wholesome meals a day.

In principle, there ought to be no reason for concern with the type of weight gain you are experiencing. If you train you get muscle. And most people want this. But if you are under 16 even this is not advisable.

If you are still under 18 you should be growing more muscular yearly. If you are older you will be happy that you are building muscle and not excess fat reserves. All within moderation, of course.

Your question does not make any sense to a nutritionist, and for this reason I suspect you may need a more special face to face counselling. Please, look into this, and talk to somebody, in the flesh, who works at a gym or prepares, sells healthy food. They  may open your eyes to the fact that you could (finally) be on the healthy path with your raised calorie intake, and normal body growth.

Please bear in mind, that if you are undernourished in younger years you run an exceptionally high risk of suffering major health issues (incl. infertility)in adulthood.

Should you consult another expert on About, please help them out by giving as much details about your body size (weight/height/build, race and previous medical issues may be helpful too), your exercise routine, and the type of diet you are on.

Wishing you all the best,
Take care,

Special Diets

Evelyn Alexander

I can supplement your knowledge on health food and alternative remedies. I take a dynamic (energetic) approach to health and discomforts. My sources and references for my advice and ideas are predominantly Anthroposophic. I am not medically trained. I have done 25 years of critical research (metaphysics and alternative medicine) and been an expert on About for over eight years. Two great ills I can help combat are ignorance and neglectfulness. In matters of healthy living I encourage discipline, respect and self-belief. My life-philosophy is fundamentally based on ANTHROPOSOPHY, which in a nut-shell, is a western metaphysical science and modern alchemical way of looking at the meaning of life. I also draw on Taoist and Ayurvedic systems. I am a mother of a boy with an Autistc Spectrum Disorder, whom I have raised on a bio-dynamic diet and homeopathic remedies. I have been a vegetarian for 25 years. I am currently researching ways to understand and treat Autism from an alternative perspective.

My direct nutritional and health care experience stems from 25 years of vegetarianism, 15 years of bio-organic cooking and 10 years as a single mother of an Autistic boy. I have read widely on nutrition and (alternative) medicine. My main focus over the past 20 years has been on Anthroposophy. I take a critical stance of modern New Age spin-offs, but generally support the hard core theory of man as a four-fold spiritual being. I have studied the following topics: Yoga, Astrology, Meditation, Tarot, Reiki, Taoist Five Element Theory, Colour/Painting Therapy, Herbology, Aromatherapy, Flower Essences, Crystals, Ayurveda, Acupuncture, Shiatsu, Macrobiotics, Ortho-Molecular science, Touch For Health, Natropathy, Music therapy, Eurhythmy, various forms of Shamanism, Palmistry, Numerology, Alchemy, World Religions, Metaphysics, Mythology, Cabala, Angels and Elementals. My interests extend into the fields of biology and especially plant morphology.

I have an academic background in linguistics. I translate and edit. I teach English. But I seem to be better at imaginative and creative thinking than logic and reason.

Intelligent and sensitive people who are interested in gathering more information on alternative options in medicine and nutrition, which may lead to emotional, physical or spiritual healing. I have been unable to help people with weight issues lose specific amounts of weight within specific amounts of time - since this does not fall within my holistic aims.