Special Diets/phytic acid

Question
This question relates to all this talk about trying to avoid phytic acid (phytates) in food (e.g. grains, beans, nuts) because it supposedly blocks mineral absorption, things like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc.  By avoiding phytic acid foods, I've seen everything from curing tooth decay to curing all sorts of other diseases in the body.  I thought it was just the opposite for phytic acid, where it prevents diseases and a host of other things in the body.  I thought these were really good foods to try and eat every day, and this should make up the bulk of your diet.  Is this something to worry about?  Are important minerals not being absorbed?  How much scientific proof is there to this?  I try to take my vitamins every morning with breakfast since it was always told to do this for best absorption.  Now I'm thinking twice about this.  I like my bowl of oatmeal every morning, but am now worried vitamins/minerals are not being absorbed.  I also like my grains.  Is hard to really know what's truth and not truth out there on the internet, since things many times seem so valid.  Thanks.

Answer
Grains cause all sorts of problems. Some are related to the antinutrients in grains, such as phytic acid, but there are many other substances in grains that cause problems. For example grains consumption can lead to coeliac disease, IBS and many other conditions.The gluten in grains is particularly dangerous:-

http://gluten-free.org/hoggan/

I would strongly suggest avoiding all grains and beans. Nuts can be consumed in moderation but I would always suggest soaking them in water for 24 hours before eating them as this reduces the amount of antinutrients in them.

HTH,
RPG.

Special Diets

RawPalaeoGuy