Special Diets/hypothyroidism

Question
Thank you for your well written response to Sue' question about light as 'food'.

I am 53, and also a student of anthroposophy (among other things) but would really much prefer to include other human beings in my life as we are all in it together. I agree that we all need to find what is right for us individually - in service of the whole.

I trust that I found your response (and this website) for a reason. I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (which as a "healthy" type know nothing about!)... and so begins my research into it!

As you have already done extensive research on the subject of health and diet, would you be able to "shed some light" and indicate some remedies, or foods that help this condition? I am open to "advice" but present enough to my stream to be able to discern for myself what feels right for me.  

Thank you for any information you can offer, and I am deeply grateful that there are individuals like you who take the time out to do what you do.

With best wishes,
Giovanna

Answer
Hi Giovanna,

Lovely to hear that my response has travelled well, only I cannot recall what I wrote (nor when). I do recall doing a lot of research on the subject, and have a lot of materials to hand I could pull out again and reemerse myself in the subject, but what if I only repeat myself?! So, I think it is best if you specify a bit more what you are looking for and what your complaints directly are (before you got the diagnosis). It is a bit of a mysterious disorder that can come and go (especially at our age) but as such carries a spiritual message from the onset.

I can give you a few questions to guide you on the kind of profile I would need to tailor my response to your situation - as best that goes via this medium. But it helps to tune in.

What diet are you following right now? (healthy vegetarian, how raw, how "fast" etc?) How is your sugar/salt/fat intake?
What kind of exercise do you prefer? How is your eurhythmy vocab? A lot can be harmonised with Eurhythmy, I found, for this particular disorder, but Yoga works a treat too. These "exercises" tackle the whole hormone household, or messaging system between micro-macrocosmic worlds (body/ether and astral-I + spirit).
Are you getting enough fresh air and free time? Sleep?
Do you take baths?
Are you familiar with essential oils or (Bach) Flower Remedies? And what about spagyrics? Or Schussler salts?
Have you had any hormone imbalance or weight issues when you were younger (teens)?
And most importantly, of all: how is your throat chakra? The thyroid is the gateway between head and heart; it is the seat of all things Mercurial or Hermes (Trismegistos) and the Appolonian mysteries? Have you done any work on this before, which your condition may be alerting you to deepen?

If you make your follow-up question private, I can always give you my email address, which makes it easier for me to trickle in advice which you can quickly reject or ask more details for. Plus I could send you charts, lists, diagrams or relevant articles as attachment. This would make for a more individualised approach and seems to work more effectively.

Hope to hear from you again.
Love,
Evelyn

Special Diets

Evelyn Alexander