Special Education/Long Term effects of being labeled Emotionally Disturbed

Carol wrote at 2013-02-01 05:57:11
I son't know what happened to your son since this was written in 2011, but I would NOT recommend having the school label your child as emotionally disturbed. It will haunt him in his adult life, ESPECIALLY if he wants anything to do with the military, police or fire careers. Those type of fields ALL look at medical and school records extensively. And we found out that the military won't barely even consider anyone that even had been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, much less taken any medication for it.Even if your son went into the military as someone with special disabilites(they are required to hire 10% with disabilities for easy/desk type jobs that don't involve combat...govt. contract civilian jobs) they would NEVER put someone in any military job with the label of ED.Police and fire won't consider anyone with a ED status also. My youngest son is devasted because he has ADD and Anxiety and does very well on meds with it...but he really wants to get into the Air Force and I don't think it's going to happen.I would fight to get that removed from his record also.Maybe you should really work on getting a better diagnosis for your son. My older son sounded like yours and we found out in college he really had Aspergrs.I hope everything works out well for your son.

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop