Special Education/IEP dismissal...


Carol wrote at 2015-11-18 17:58:03
I'd like to add some clarification to this answer.  Standardized testing is not required in all states as a means of either qualifying or dismissing from special education services (including speech and language services).  What is required is that the school must show, with evidence (and that CAN be a standardized tests or it can be classroom benchmarks or other information)that, "The child can receive reasonable educational benefit from general education alone."  (Answer must be “no” in order for the child to be eligible for services.) That is directly from IDEA.  

When a child is receiving the services of a speech, language pathologist alone, that means they qualified under a speech or language impairment, but that impairment does not stand alone as equaling services in schools. You are talking about school based services and that means the child must require this help in order to participate in and be successful in the general education classroom.  If your child is successful in the classroom without direct specialized instruction(not just academically, but socially as well) then they would no longer be eligible for services.  That may seem cold; however, it is the nature of school based services.  The bottom line is a child can have a disability and still not qualify for services, IF that disability does not impede their ability to succeed in the classroom.  That said, that isn't the SLPs call only.  You, the parent and the teacher also have input, but that input should be in the form of data, not just what you think.  For example if your child is shying away from participation and you know it isn't just a shy personality, the teacher can document how many times a typical student contributed (so you are not going to compare with the kiddo who always raises his hand nor are going to compare to the child who rarely raises his hand), you are going to pick a "typically" performing peer and keep data on how often typical peer raises his hand to volunteer information vs. your child.  How often when asked to answer a question a typical peer responds in a reasonable amount of time vs how much time it takes your child.  It really depends on what your concerns are regarding his/her speech.  The data should match your concern.  

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further help in explaining what can be a very frustrating system from both ends: parents and specialist.  

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.