Special Education/2nd follow up

Question
Are you only available in Cali?I am all the way in NY, in suburbia. I don't think they have charter schools except in the city. The thing is with all my help, my son is at grade level plus in all academics. I have been his teacher. And he is smart naturally he just has the Tourettes ADD and OCD and of all of these, the ADD is my least concern because he's so bright. It's his sporadic and hard to predict compulsiveness. He isn't compulsive all the time, to the point where we wondered about PANDAS because it came on fast and furious and it's only in some areas.  His tics aren't serious enough that we would consider meds and I know others disagree but I really do believe ADD is a gift sometimes that is for kids who are wired differently and they can really succeed in science and math and engineering which is certainly something the country needs. I wouldn't throw out special ed kids, it's startling to me how many kids are identified as ADD or Asbergers in areas with engineers. It's a combination of over concerned parents and quite possibly different wiring. Right now school is a huge waste for my son but I don't think it's fair to me to have to bear the expense of hiring help so I can have 1:1 time with him. I have other kids and pets and an ailing relative I shop for, something has got to give. The school has already gotten three years from me of alot of work. The idea that professionals exceed parents hasn't sat well with me because I haven't experienced it yet. I would be happy to but it's just so difficult to find someone to help my son. Basically, their methodology is to have him do things while he is paying no attention and to drill language that isn't at all meaningful to him or his life to the point where there is no retention. The IEP is fine, I can't change the methodology. When I complained about speech, I was told I was out of line. Exact words. I honestly just listed what I thought was wrong and what could be done differently. Is this out of line?

Answer
ck,

Unfortunately, you probably stepped on some fragile egos. I run into this all the time. "Experts" with advanced degrees and certifications feel they know more than anyone else. And they get very upset if someone challenges them. Once they get upset, it is hard to get them to come back to reality.

I do represent clients all over the United States and I often participate in IEPs via telephone or Skype. I have a number of students I represent that are home-schooled. The challenge is to find the right home school to affiliate with if you want special education services for you son.

If you want to lean more about my services, contact me at the email address below and I will email you detailed information.

I wish you and your son the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Email: timrunner@gmail.com
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:
www.special-education-answers.com

Special Education

Tim Runner