Special Education/My daughter


Hi, my daughter has Spina-bifida and is under the 504 plan at school. She has very many challenges. We live in a very small town in Al. Hamilton to be exact. This year she is having a very hard time. She is in 7th grade and we have already been to the office and spoke with the principal in regards to.a bullying issue. She is considering homeschooling now because of all of this. I am a nurse and aware of the medical aspect of her rights but as to any other rights that she has I really am clueless. I feel like the school could do more to help her feel accepted. Thanks for any help. Tonya


I recommend you look into having your daughter on a special education IEP rather than a 504 Plan. There are more services available and the enforcement procedures are much better (When the school doen't do what is called for on the IEP, you can file a simple Compliance Complaint with your state department of education). She will qualify under the category of Other Health Impaired (OHI). If the bullying is not stopped, the school should provide her an aide (or shadow aide).

I wish you and your daughter the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Email: timrunner@gmail.com
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]