Special Education/Dyslexia

My daughter has dyslexia. We just found out and she is 12 and in Middle School How does this change the way she learns from other kids?

Good for you for getting your daughter evaluated.  She will benefit tremendously from having appropriate help.

Her learning should be affected primarily in the area of reading (dyslexia will affect her spelling, too).  It is important to get her some remediation for her reading skills.  Her diagnosis of dyslexia means that she has trouble connecting the sounds of our language with the symbols of language (i.e. letters).

The International Dyslexia Association has numerous resources that I think you will find informative.  You should navigate all over their site, but you'll find a lot of good information on this page:  http://www.interdys.org/FactSheets.htm.

Dyslexia will not keep your daughter from doing anything she wants to do.  It is important to get her the right kind of help so that she can develop her weak skills and get a good understanding of her areas of strength.

Special Education

Elizabeth Hamblet

My specialty is transition to college for students with learning disabilities and ADD. I can answer specific questions about the laws governing services and accommodations and about the changes in focus for students with learning disabilities and ADD headed to college.

I was a learning disabilities specialist at the post-secondary level for over a decade. I now give speeches and do private consulting on this topic, and I am a contributing writer for Disability Compliance for Higher Education.

Association for Higher Education and Disabilities Learning Disabilities Association of America

Author of book entitled "7 Steps for Success: High School to College Transition Strategies for Students with Disabilities" - published by the Council for Exceptional Children Disability Compliance and Higher Education Journal of College Admission New Jersey Family Career Development for Exceptional Individuals

M.Ed. in Special Education M.A.T. State-certified Learning Disabilities Teacher-Consultant Training in Orton-Gillingham

Princeton High School The Pennington School The Newgrange School Delaware Valley Regional High School Hillsborough Public Schools New Jersey Association of Learning Consultants Don Bosco Prep Middlesex County Guidance Association