You are here:

Special Education/sensory integration therapy


I really want to get sensory integration therapy for my 7 year old son who has serious sensory issues. The OT has not addressed them with any success. The school doesn't even acknowledge these issues and only wants an emphasis on writing and cutting. They say SIT is not proven. Is there a way I can formulate my request for greater success?


Sensory challenges are often met by accommodations in IEPs. I always ask that my clients be assessed by a SIPT certified OT when they have serious issues. They have more training and better understand sensory challenges. The sensory integration therapy is a medical procedure as far as most school districts are concerned. If you accept this premise, then you have to provide it, hopefully using your medical insurance. Schools can provide sensory diets and work up sensory plans that are mostly accommodations. Beyond this, you will probably have to file for Due Process and prove to an administrative law judge that the school district must provide SIT services. You can look on your state's data base of past Due Process decisions to see what has been determined by rulings concerning sensory issues. This will tell you if you have a chance with Due Process.

I wish you and your son the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:  

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 All rights reserved.