You are here:

Special Education/504 Plans and Parochial Schools


Thank you very much for answering my previous questions. I have determined that the parochial school receives federal funding for reduced lunches.  Since they receive federal funding, do they have to honor my 504 Plan developed by my child's previous public school or are they allowed to pick and choose which pieces they would like to incorporate into their own 504 plan? They have given me a very abbreviated version of my original that they would like me to sign. We fought for too many years in order to achieve my daughter's 504 Plan.  I do not want to give up any portion of that because I know it will cause problems down the road.  Also, can they attach the educational accommodation to the 504 plan as related to her medical condition or must she have an IEP.  They would like to do "blanket" testing with her as if she is a child with a learning disability. It seems to me that if they have her medical/ hearing and vision/ and past academic performance that information should suffice. I just don't want my child to do any unnecessary testing and would like to speed this process along.  They are not providing any intervention services.

Hi Karen,
Since the school receives federal funding, they do have to implement the 504. Whether or not they have to implement it exactly as previously written may be another issue. Until a new accommodation plan is written, they are obligated to follow the one that the student entered school with. 504 plans are reviewed at a minimum every year and often include changes to the accommodations that the student receives. They may also request that additional or comprehensive ("blanket") evaluations be completed if there is a suspicion of another disability or the team needs more information to plan effectively or the team feels that consideration for an IEP is needed. You have the right not to consent for testing. If you agree to testing, you cannot refuse the right for an eligibility meeting but if the student is found eligible, you can refuse special education services. This would not negate the 504. I'm not sure I understand the question about attaching the accommodations to the 504 plan. The 504 accommodations are what the 504 plan is, along with documentation of 504 eligibility. It sounds like they created a new 504 plan on their own. You should have been included in that meeting.
Best of luck,

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Potts


I can answer most questions related to psychological evaluations including an explanation of the scores and the assessment measures. I can also answer most questions regarding special education eligibility, response to intervention (RtI), and recommendations and interventions for specific areas of disability including intellectual disability, learning disability, emotional and behavioral disorders, other health impaired, autism, and pervasive developmental disorder. I can also answer questions regarding Individual Education Plans (IEPs), and parent rights. I cannot determine if a child has a disability or not based on anecdotal information or assessment scores.


As a graduate student, I interned at a psychoeducational facility for students with severe emotional and behavioral disorders as well as other disorders including specific learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and autism. Following my internship, I was hired full-time there as a school psychologist and worked there for several years. Since then I have worked as a regular school psychologist in a district mostly completing psychological evaluations and consulting with the Student Support Team (SST). I currently work as a contract psychologist for several metro Atlanta counties.

The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) The Student Support Team Association for Georgia Educators (SSTAGE)

My undergraduate degree is from the University of Georgia in Psychology. I have an M.Ed. and Ed.S. from Georgia State University. I recently completed my Educational Leadership Certificate at West Georgia University.

©2017 All rights reserved.