Special Education/change of providers

Is there a way to go about requesting a change of staff? There are two people who are working with my son ALOT and they've done nothing for him. What makes it very upsetting is that 2 years ago the people who did these services made substantial progress. We had a weird situation where we had alot of subtitute providers but that's another story. I know there are better providers. How can a parent advocate for a change? Honestly I cannot afford to go through my insurance bc I have a very high copay. Thanks

There is no legal process for parental input in the hiring or placement of which staff works with a child with disabilities.  However, the best process is to discuss the issues you describe with your local district's Special Education Director.  Staff in schools are the mutual responsibility of the building Principal and the Special Education Director.  The Director is more closely connected to the data that would demonstrate the previous progress you observed, while the Principal is running all the daily activities of a school.  

It is possible that there is nothing that can be done within the school system, but it is worth an appointment with the Director and/or Principal to see if any change is possible.  

Personnel decisions are left to the administrators who are hired to deal with them, and unfortunately, this falls under that protection.  

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop

I have spent nealy 40 years in the area of Special Education. I have had the pleasure of teaching pre-school, elementary, middle, high school and college levels, as well as, served in school district administration buildings in classroom/legal support positions. I have also spent some time working in a State Department of Education Exceptional Student Services Office and am now currently Division Head and Director of Institutional Research at Alice Lloyd College in Pippa Passes, Kentucky. I also teach special education classes on campus. I have also taught full time teacher preparation at Northern Arizona University on the Tucson Campus, Seattle Pacific University, and at the University of Wyoming in Laramie, Wyoming. In addition to that I have taught adjunct at Seattle Pacific University, City University in Seattle, Ashford University, and Grand Canyon University.

I have experienced directly special education legal issues, process and procedure, and have taught at all levels in every special education category except gifted. My major expertise is diagnostic prescriptive teaching, literacy as it relates to disabilities, technology in special education, and Educational Leadership. My greatest passion in the field is building new programs, implementing and doing the research to see how they work. My Dissertation and principle research interest is in the area of inclusive education, primarily co-teaching of students with disabilities in the general education classroom.

Council for Exceptional Children, Association for the Supervision of Curriculum, National Reading Council.

Teaching Exceptional Children, Published computer assisted instruction, titled PAL, Special Education Basics, college Textbook, Teaching with Precision, college Textbook, Various devotionals at the website, Preachitteachit.com.

I have a B.A. in Secondary Education, a Masters in Special Education (cross categorical), administrative certification, and a second B.A. in Elementary Education. I completed my doctorate in Educational Leadership at Northern Arizona University.

Best Summer Program in the Nation (Honorable Mention, when I was Teaching) Multiple local awards