Special Education/Word Mix Up

Question
I read your answer to Roberta about "picalepsy". I know nothing of that nature is wrong. I've always talked really fast and stuttered when I spoke because I do get really excited when I'm telling a story or I'm trying to get my point across. Being from the south, home remedies and explanations sometimes take over and my Grandma calls it Mix Up Mash Up and says its a sign of "being smart"? So I've never paid it any attention until I got in a serious relationship. I don't know if it got worse or if a new person just wasn't used to it and started pointing it out everytime it happened. So, I started researching a medical name for it #not getting caught up in labels just curious# and couldn't find one and that led me to come across Roberta's question. I agree and can relate to 95% of the advice you gave her. My thing is I don't always realize when I do it. I think I said the sentence right, ex. " Is the cake in the oven?", and they'll hear, "Is the oven in the cake?". Most of the time, I'll have to be told I said it backwards. I know it's my brain working faster than my mouth. When I write, I'll be thinking the sentence and writing it out, and when I re-read the sentence I missed a word or wrote a word twice. I just want to hear you thoughts and advice on it all and look forward to hearing from you.

Answer
Hey to you in the south and a million THANKS for your FANTASTIC question, Sean!:)

As soon as I read it, I realized that what I'll advise you here didn't even occur to me at the time when I advised Roberta, albeit now I see that the advice I'll give you now would exactly apply to her in addition to all the advice I gave her!

So the advice is this: you're simply not connecting your speech to your brain.  You're on chronic autopilot, so chronic that the electric impulse [this is as much a metaphor as it's literal] between your speech and your brain REALIZING what you're saying has simply not even occurring to you due to the automation of the autopilot!  I hope I'm explaining myself clearly here... just stop, reread, and think about what you read in this paragraph and you'll see it'll make sense to you.  

On the margin - that it's interesting to see how the human race has been literally spellbound by the power of the members of the medical profession!  Look at how its spell worked on you: what did you do first?  You searched for the MEDICAL NAME of your issue!  That's how the Western society is caught up in labels!  I wonder how much energy you expended on not finding your issue's medical name that you could have expended on thinking about how to correct your issue straightaway.  This is just my observation and I come across and have written about this phenomenon in some entries of my blog at www.leadingedgeoflife.com/blog  If you feel that committing to reading as many entries from that blog as your heart desires will have value for you, I invite you to do so!

Now back to the electric impulse between whatever in life you're doing and your brain realizing your actions.  I'll give you an example that may make you and other readers cringe, but nonetheless exemplifies my point beautifully.  Have you ever got up in the night to visit the restroom?  If yes, have you ever had a split second moment while sitting in the restroom doing your business hesitating whether you really were in the restroom and not doing your business onto the bed in sleep in a dream?  If you have had this happen, you'll realize that once the split second passes, your brain will kick up such strong electric impulse of realization that you'll frighten yourself realizing that you lost control over knowing whether you really were sitting in the restroom!  You'll then automatically - as a matter of reflex - ground yourself to the toilet seat and check yourself, perhaps even look around, to assure yourself that you really are there, by which time, needless to say, any remnants of sleepiness are gone and you're wide awake!  THAT split second phenomenon is EXACTLY due to lack of the electric impulse between your action and the brain realizing your action!  That impulse is also the element that people with dementia are missing.  It's again simply autopilot - who thinks about going to the restroom at night?  When nature calls, one's gotta act, right?  We act on the reflex without realization.  But it's the lack of realization that causes autopilots and brainwash to a certain extent, no matter how harsh or even offensive that may sound.  

So Sean, start practicing the realization when you're speaking.  Ground yourself, I've written on grounding on my www.leadingedgeoflife.com/blog in several entries, and practice.  What you say must be registered by your brain.  Then you'll start hearing yourself and the issue of mixing up words will cease to be relevant.  I also suggest that you thank your partner for helping to point things out to you and that you take your partner's help as useful feedback and opportunity to catch yourself and kickstrat the practice of the electric impulse of realization.  Your partner's feedback is helpful barometer of how well you're doing!
Best of strength, commitment, motivation, and determination, and feel free to contact me via www.leadingedgeoflife.com and let me know how you get on!

With :) & +NRG,
Lucy

Special Education

NLP Life & Learning Difficultiesl Coach