Special Education/Mileage

"I have double checked our policy with both the SELPA legal counsel and other Special Ed. Directors within our county.  The policy for districts that reimburse their parents for transporting students in special ed. to school is that they are reimbursed for miles driven when the student in is the car (or 1 round trip)."

Is this legal?  I drive a total of 135miles a day....The school mu son attends is 45mins away...WHY do they only have to pay me for 1 round trip?  Do I have to literally SIT THERE for 6hrs?

I have an IEP on April 19th and I want this addressed...

In my opinion this policy is not legal. In my last answer to you I told you not to bring this up in your IEP unless they try to change things. Leave well enough alone.

I wish you and your daughter the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Email: timrunner@gmail.com
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.