Special Education/OCD, going into 2nd grade next year

Question
Thank you for the in depth reply but what I was trying to say is a school isn't always the best place for a child with severe OCD. I am not scared of protective services. If anything, I think the school should be scared given how much they've added to my son's problems, though not clearly by intention. There are no schools that deal with severe OCD.  My son is a very bright boy so I am not going to place him in a different setting with all kinds of problems and no specialization in OCD just because my school cannot deal with OCD. I am prepared to homeschool him, these are lower grades, it's not difficult. I was just asking what the school's role would be in this event because I feel it's gotten too serious to keep him in school. His anxieties and focuses are getting more bizarre, much more than at home. The reason is that they give in to these things which tends to heighten them or they don't let him breathe which also increases anxiety. I don't feel a school is a place for a child with extreme anxiety. I think one must first work to get the anxiety down to a certain level, whatever it takes before school can be considered an option. Sadly, I do know of two parents who've homeschooled kids with moderate and severe OCD given the difficulty of the school in dealing with this, despite their teams of therapists. I haven't filed for homeschooling. What happens if I do this in the middle of next year? How do I request a home tutor for part of the day, for medical reasons? Thank you.

Answer
Hello, M,

I understand your position and your son's situation. . The programs I discussed in my answer such as the OCD Anxiety Clinics will specialize in OCD and have an education component. I think your question at this time is: what is the school's role if you homeschool? The school's role would be to monitor the implementation of the home program. States have varying regulations. Sometimes parents can enroll in privately run homeschooling programs where the school district has no role. You can withdraw your child and homeschool at any point in the school year, and you can re-enroll your child at any point as well. As for how to request home instruction, I hope this link helps.
http://bcsd.k12.ny.us/Board/district_policies/4327.pdf

I hope I've answered your questions and please let me know if not or if I can provide clarification. I wish you and your son all the best!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.