Special Education/My daughter's diganose

Hello Mr. Potts I had a question about my child Past IEP diagnose.She was diagnose as to have low average cognitive ability and short term memory.Does this type of condition go away.Another question is low average cognitive the same as mild cognitive impairment.

Hi Nena,
Low average intelligence is not the same as mild cognitive impairment. Low average just means that she is in the average range but at the lower end of average. Mild cognitive impairment would be much lower. Intelligence and memory can improve over time but typically will do so because of the student working hard to improve memory and cognitive skills. I would recommend looking into memory training programs if you are interested. High expectations are important from you and teachers.
Best of luck to you,

Special Education

Morgan Potts

I can answer most questions related to psychological evaluations including an explanation of the scores and the assessment measures. I can also answer most questions regarding special education eligibility, response to intervention (RtI), and recommendations and interventions for specific areas of disability including intellectual disability, learning disability, emotional and behavioral disorders, other health impaired, autism, and pervasive developmental disorder. I can also answer questions regarding Individual Education Plans (IEPs), and parent rights. I cannot determine if a child has a disability or not based on anecdotal information or assessment scores.

As a graduate student, I interned at a psychoeducational facility for students with severe emotional and behavioral disorders as well as other disorders including specific learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and autism. Following my internship, I was hired full-time there as a school psychologist and worked there for several years. Since then I have worked as a regular school psychologist in a district mostly completing psychological evaluations and consulting with the Student Support Team (SST). I currently work as a contract psychologist for several metro Atlanta counties.

The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) The Student Support Team Association for Georgia Educators (SSTAGE)

My undergraduate degree is from the University of Georgia in Psychology. I have an M.Ed. and Ed.S. from Georgia State University. I recently completed my Educational Leadership Certificate at West Georgia University.