I have an unusual problem. My school district either plays games with me deliberately or is addle brained or both. On two occasions they unilaterally cancelled observations because they didn't like my complaining about my son's IEP. That is exactly what happened. They did it last second with no written explanation. I demanded we find a way to prevent this going forward.  At least three other times meetings haven't taken place because they don't check voicemail that's on during working hours or email. How can I avoid this? Someone emails me, I email back, I can't make them read it. I have my copies. Is it fair that I take off work and make all kinds of adjustments and have been slapped a third time because someone didnt read an email or listen to more than one voicemail? What can I do? Thanks

The only two legal ways you can give the school your statements concerning observations and IEP attendance is to fax it to them and print out a fax report that shows when the fax was sent, how many pages, and if it was received. Or you can deliver it in person and have the office person sign that they received it. As far as IEP's go, it they cancel at the last minute, you should first contact the director of special education for your school district. If that does not work, then contact your state's department of education and file a Compliance Complaint. You can file for Due Process but this is expensive ant time consuming.

Sorry there is no easier way available.

I wish you and your child the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.