Special Education/Autistic Son has Current IEP that School resists following correctly

Question
QUESTION: Due to 3years of Dealing with a District that was taken over. 2nd year Now at Same school. IEP in place but they are NOT consistent, following and resisting to correctly accommoda. We have had Numerous meetings, been wrongly suspended, patheticly written up for petty reasons, sent home after just 30min-a lil over a hour of school. He has come home with marks, distressed and Very Distraught at times. They STILL are resisting to correctly follow the IEP. His Pediatrician and I agree on Homeschooling since ALL FREE and Non profit groups Refuse to help mediate or take a Case I Strongly believe is in Violation of Numerous State and Federal Laws. But If I do Homeschool will the District be responsible for his Speech and OT therapies?? One Lost Mississippi Momma :( Very Discouraged in Our System to hold these People accountable for their Lack of Obeying Civil Rights And No Child Left Behind... I have a 3 inch Binder slap full of IEP's, Behavior logs, Documents from Doctors and Therapists and Research Info!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!

ANSWER: Bridgette,

Given all that has happened to your son, you should consider filing a "Compliance Complaint" with the Mississippi Department of Education. You can list all the ways the school has not followed the things specified in your son's IEP. They will investigate and render their findings to you and the district. They will also make recommendations that the school has to follow.

I wish you and your son the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Email: timrunner@gmail.com
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:
www.special-education-answers.com

QUESTION: Would they be responsible for Speech and OT services ?? Thank you again for replying

Answer
Bridgette,

The home schooling law is tricky. If you sign up with a home school program that is sponsored by another school district (not the one you live in) they become responsible for providing special education services. The law considers your child as having been transferred to the new district and removed from your current district. If you do not enter a program sponsored by another district, then your home district is responsible for providing all direct services required by your child -- these include Speech and OT. But you will have to transport your son at specified times to whatever location the district decides to use to provide these services.

If you sign up with a home-charter school sponsored by another school district, they will also dictate the times and locations for the direct services and you will have to provide transportation.

I wish you and your son the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Email: timrunner@gmail.com
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:
www.special-education-answers.com  

Special Education

Tim Runner