Special Education/Dismissal of a special education student

Does a school have to do a full reevaluation to dismiss a student from Special education? I have been told that if parent request a student to be removed it does not have to be done. I have read in the Wrights law book that in order to dismiss a student a full evaluation had to be completed not sure what is true. any help is appreciated.

The rules have changed in the last couple of years. Parents are now allowed to ask that their child be withdrawn from special education at any time. No reevaluation is required. But, before the school can dismiss a child from special education, they have to conduct an evaluation to show that the child no longer needs the services being received.

Tim Runner
Advocate for Kids
Phone: 949-582-3601

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.