Special Education/Attendance

Question
Is the case manager responsible of student's attendance or track her attendance everyday and initiate steps on mediating the attendance policy and so forth? Considering her services is a pull-out.

Answer
Hello again Patrick, and thanks again for writing to me and using this service!

It sounds like you are writing about a student who has an Individualized Education Plan IEP in place, and it sounds like this student has attendance issues.  Someone at the school is responsible for tracking and compiling the attendance information.  This is especially true if the student's disability is related to attendance problems.  I think this is the case whether the student is receiving 'pull out' or 'push in' services, regardless.  I would also encourage the school team and parent to ask whether this student needs a functional behavior assessment and behavior intervention plan.  The BIP and the IEP ideally could specify who is responsible for what, and the protocol that should be followed if there are attendance problems.  I would say also that the IEP team should meet and discuss the attendance problems, because lack of attending surely affects the student's ability to access the curriculum, and affects her progress.  

I hope this answers your question but if not, please feel free to follow up with another question.  

I provide in depth consulting and training for both schools and parents.  Please contact me at abc4success@msn.com if you are interested in my 'audit' of records, training, or consultation.  Thanks again for a question that is likely relevant to a lot of students!  I am happy you are using this free service!  

www.abc4lifesuccess.com

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.