Special Education/siblings in school


I have a son in a regular school in a mixed class. My district refused to allow him to attend our home school with an aide. The school he is in now we are not zoned for but its a district school, close by.  I was not given any choice but the program my son was placed in. Now my other son is going into school and my district refuses to let him attend with my older. I can't handle having them split not just psychologically as they are close but my older son has issues and I cannot see juggling this awful routine.  I am shocked that my school board denied our request given how they forced my older son out of attending our zoned school. I felt they couldve crafted a program for him, thats what they claim to do. Is there somewhere I can appeal?


I am shocked that your district refuses to allow your younger son to attend the same school attended by your older son. Most districts have a policy to allow this. You state in your question that the "school board denied your request." This tells me that you have already taken the action that I was going to recommend. You can ask for another IEP to see if you can convince the IEP Team to allow your older son to go to your home school. If this fails, you could look into your State's Department of Education policies on this.

I wish you and your sons the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Email: timrunner@gmail.com
Phone: (949) 582-3601
You can learn more at my web site:

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.