Special Education/Withdrawal from community school

If the ESS student was withdrawn from the community school by his parent, is the school still responsible to find out where hes at, was he transferred to another school, or he did not go to school for some reasons?
If the school heard that the ESS student is not attending school, is the school obligated to have a home visit?
The student lives at another community wherein there is a community school but he enrolled to our community and the he was withdrawn from our school.

Hi Patrick,  Thanks so much for writing to me!  Your question is:
The student has an Individualized Education Plan, IEP.  The student lives in community A.  The student enrolled in the neighborhood school in community B.  Then he was withdrawn from the school in community B.  Does the school in Community B have an obligation to find out where the child is and the student's status, or have a home visit?

I hope I have this question correct, so please let me know if I get it wrong.  

If communities A and B are both in the same school district, then my answer is yes, someone from the district needs to find the student and complete the school district's obligation to provide the student and parent with a free appropriate public education.  

But my answer also depends on two other factors.  One is the student's age.  The other is how the student was withdrawn from the school.  Did the parent withdraw the student, or did the school withdraw the student due to nonattendance, or other reasons?  In general, the IEP team will be the determining body for the student, and would dismiss or exit the student.  Also, in most districts, there are rules about how a student should transfer from school B to A, and so if the parent did not follow those, sometimes the student gets withdrawn.  But still, the school district has a 'child find' obligation to provide a free appropriate public education.  

I hope this answers your question!  I am going to answer your other question now.  Thanks again for writing and please feel free to follow up with me.  

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.