Special Education/parochial school


I didn't send my son to parochial school because he is special needs. I want to. The district said if I choose a parochial school they don't have to send an aide even though he has an aide in public school. I don't understand it. Public school is in conflict with myv values. I'm not asking them to foot the bill for private school, only the services he is currently receiving, which are speech, O.T. and the aide. Any advice?


When a special education student is placed by the parents in a private school it changes the responsibilities of the school district. The IEP is converted to an ISP (Individualized Service Plan). The district is still responsible for providing all "direct services" (e.g. speech, OT, PT) to the student. But the district can dictate the time and location for each service and the parents have to supply transportation to and from these services.

The district is not required to provide classroom support meaning teachers and aides. I'm afraid the law and case law is on the side of the district for this. Sorry.

I wish you and your son the best,

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.