Special Education/IEP Addendums


My daughter is a 22 year old in a Adult Transition class and the Special Ed/Principal of our school decided that these students needed to have grades after not having grades for the past 2 years.  When I asked for an addendum requesting that my daughter did not need to have grades and I would like an addendum written up for her not to have grades along with others in her SDC, program administrators said you can not write an addendum without having an IEP meeting.  The reason being at this point she does not need grades to get into college or they will not be anything that will help her only hinder her if the grade is seen by her.  I have read that I can write an addendum without an IEP meeting as long as an administrator signs off on it.  So my question at this point is legally can I ask for an addendum without an IEP meeting? If the Special Ed Dept. won't honor my request for the addendum are my daughter's civil rights being violated?  They keep telling me that I am violating her civil rights... Thank you so much for your time - Thank you for your time!


I do IEP Addendums all the time by fax and phone. The school drafts the Addendum with the change; in your case the accommodation of no grades . It states in the Notes that it is an IEP Addendum being done without a meeting and the Parent(s) waive having the usually required participants at the meeting. We usually have a conference call to make sure the parents are aware of their Rights, are agreeing to the IEP, and have no questions. It is signed by the administrator and then faxed or emailed to me and my client. We both sign it and fax (or scan and email) it back.

That's all there is to it.

I wish you and your daughter the best,
Tim Runner, Advocate
Advocates for Kids
Email: timrunner@gmail.com
Phone: (949) 582-3601
FAX: (949) 716-9498
You can learn more at my web site:

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.