Special Education/Additional question


Thanks for the reply.
My sons expressive speech is years behind so I don't think the 4 sessions a week is generous especially because 2 are group.
He is not disruptive but stops a task shortly through it or tunes out during certain times.
He will get distracted by materials elsewhere or his own thoughts.
The problem is he does this in a group of 3 too.
We want him to function in a group but if a small group doesn't help, he is self distracting and doesn't benefit from eliminating external stuff (I.e. then he will let get imaginative and self distract)
The problem is multi fold, definitely needs high stimulation, he is very very smart but also gets lost in too much language going by fast.  He was in a smaller class and was never so unhappy and he is a happy boy.
He was even more bored and unstimulated.
Do you have a suggestion? He is very attentive 1:1 in many activities but in any size class problems are same. The normal environment seems highly preferable but we aren't sure what support or accommodation can help.
He is very accepted by peers which is heartening.
The solution of separating kids seems less in the kids interest in many cases and more to the end of just making gen Ed teachers life easy.
This is hard on me because my husband once worked in a poor urban school district, was not paid well, had no aides and a huge load to handle and he did it.  And his big complaint was uninvolved parents and poor home life which so is not the case here!


The additional information is helpful, but I really can't judge what you son needs in the way of speech therapy. I advise my clients to try to get independent assessments from licensed professionals. I also recommend audiological assessments for clients -- sometimes they have problems that don't show up on typical school hearing screenings. Many medical insurance plans will pay for these. Just make sure this assessor makes specific recommendations about what level of therapy your son requires and whether it needs to be individual or small group. I also recommend that clients have independent psycho-educational assessments conducted by qualified independent psychologists -- I try to have neuro-psychologists if possible. Again, specific recommendations about educating the student are needed from the expert.

I would have to do a Case Review of your son before I can answer questions regarding placement. I go over all school records as well as private assessments and medical diagnoses. I have clients that are so intelligent, they are just bored in regular classes. I have clients who have done very well using an online school -- but they have to be self motivated and able to work independently and stay on task. I have students placed in special private schools where they are taught one on one and go at their own speed. These are expensive, but I have been able to get school districts to pay for them -- it's always required filing for Due Process which can be expensive. I have students receiving home/hospital services from the district where the teacher comes to the home to give instruction, but the student has to do the homework on their own. The bottom line is there are options. But I have no idea what bests fits with your son's unique needs unless I conduct a Case Review.

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Tim Runner


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.


I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.