Special Education/My daughters WAIS-IV scores

Hi Morgan Potts I'm looking for an explanation of my daughters WAIS-IV scores and whether they indicate a need for further investigation for anything in particular.

She's a teenager now but was born 9 weeks early and didn't start speaking until 4 1/2, she's always been a bit eccentric but I thought nothing of it, she's well behaved and gets good grades. But at a meeting the teacher mentioned how very badly disorganized she is, I never realized how much she was struggling, she works very hard, but I know if I weren't here she'd fall apart. I mentioned this to a friend who suggested she might have ASD. Now I looked it up and it sounds almost nothing like her and it seems to me mainly/only boys get it.

However on her tests we were both gobsmacked when they said she had (with absolutely no doubt) dyslexia (and possibly [dyspraxia] along with executive functioning problems), now English is her best subject and she loves to read but she did admit to me that she's not very fast and sometimes has to play catch up. That's when I remembered my friend mentioning the ASD. Now I don't think she has anything so extreme as to place her on the spectrum, but I wanted your opinion on whether the scores indicate anything in particular that requires further investigation, and if you can explain them to me a bit, I love my daughter and feel I haven't paid her as much attention as I should, I want her to do good in her schooling (she's doing exams right now) and not fail because we never addressed or missed a disorder or weaknesses she may have.  

Verbal Comprehension Index: 114 (82nd percentile)
Perceptual Reasoning Index: 88 (21st percentile)
Working Memory Index: 77 (6th percentile)
Processing Speed Index: 81 (10th percentile)

Hi Janice,
I'm so sorry for the extreme delay in my getting this question. I assume that she actually an adult now based on the assessment that was given. The scores indicate high average verbal skills, low average perceptual (nonverbal/visual) skills, borderline (well below average) short-term memory, and below average processing speed. These scores don't tell me anything about the possibility of ASD. It is possible that she may have a specific learning disability but without further information, it is unclear.  
I hope you have already found your answer elsewhere but I wanted to respond. Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.

Special Education

Morgan Potts

I can answer most questions related to psychological evaluations including an explanation of the scores and the assessment measures. I can also answer most questions regarding special education eligibility, response to intervention (RtI), and recommendations and interventions for specific areas of disability including intellectual disability, learning disability, emotional and behavioral disorders, other health impaired, autism, and pervasive developmental disorder. I can also answer questions regarding Individual Education Plans (IEPs), and parent rights. I cannot determine if a child has a disability or not based on anecdotal information or assessment scores.

As a graduate student, I interned at a psychoeducational facility for students with severe emotional and behavioral disorders as well as other disorders including specific learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and autism. Following my internship, I was hired full-time there as a school psychologist and worked there for several years. Since then I have worked as a regular school psychologist in a district mostly completing psychological evaluations and consulting with the Student Support Team (SST). I currently work as a contract psychologist for several metro Atlanta counties.

The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) The Student Support Team Association for Georgia Educators (SSTAGE)

My undergraduate degree is from the University of Georgia in Psychology. I have an M.Ed. and Ed.S. from Georgia State University. I recently completed my Educational Leadership Certificate at West Georgia University.