Special Education/follow up

Question
I don't think the speech is alot. It's two hours a week total and two are in a group. Maybe I don't know what other kids have across the country.
We think the aide is an impediment.  She's nice but she's a bad babysitter.
Sometimes he doesn't listen or drifts off or gets distracted. That's the long and short of it. I haven't seen it first hand, but I believe them it happens. I think he is very bored with subjects he knows. The 1:1 he had was degrading him. There's nothing worse than dumbing a kid down because they have no motivation then.
I don't care about quantity but just want him to have one good tutor.
I also want to have ongoing communication which never happens. I received three progress reports over the year and they were short and vague.  So far, all progress has been at home.
They dumb him down so much that of course he will make minimal progress because the bar has been set so low.
I am curious what is a normal level of support for someone who is very bright but easily distracted and also very much behind in expressive language.  I know that my husband and I have done the lion's share of work and made sure our son was doing well academically. He is very bright but school wants things a certain way. He had to unlearn good math for common core in our opinion.
His grades have been good.  I want to express that he is probably no more than a 4 year old in expressive language and a spotty 4 year old. He understands very well. I do have high expectations of speech support for this reason.

Answer
Stacey,

The normal support for the student you describe is an aide (good one) and speech and Language (typically 2-30 minute sessions per week - one group and 1 individual). But it all depends on the needs of the student as determined by standardized assessments. For students not needing an aide, the normal is a series of accommodations: seating near teacher, breaks as needed, extra time on tests and homework, tests in a quiet place. These are typical, but again it all depends on the needs of the student. Most of these accommodations are also put in place even if there is an aide.

A lot depends on whether the student is a distraction to other students in the class. This is common with ADD/ADHD students. They get distracted, can be impulsive, and have distracting behaviors. If this takes place, the aide is called for or the student has to be placed in a resource class (typically lower level academically).  

Special Education

Tim Runner