Special Education/Follow up


Where are you located? I'm in New York. Don't know where anyone on the board is from.
I would like outside help but not to medicalize or over label. I want an advocate on my sons side wanting to get what's best for him

Good morning Jara,

I have two main office locations in Washington DC and Southwest Florida areas. However, I consult in many other states including New York. I offer a free consultation. I'd be happy to hear from you. 301-593-5166 or ABC4success@msn.com. Our services are child centered, expert, and informed. I understand your concern about medical issues and over labeling. My audit service is likely a good place to start, so that we can see in the record what the status of your child's case is. Thank you for following up!

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.


I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.


10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]