Special Education/IEP methodology

The school says it is unwilling to put data methodology into the IEP.  We told them we don't want an IEP without it. They refuse to do this and also refuse to send us regular progress reports. Do you have any advice?
Also the school says they can't reimburse for any assistive tech (even if was mutually agreed on). Previously this was done. They say all software has to remain on their premises or on one of their machines. This goes against helping our child at home. Any advice? Our son does well with software and we've spent many hundreds of dollars and been reimbursed only once, by a previous administrator who was normal.

If regular progress reports are called for in the IEP, you can file a Compliance Complaint with your state's department of education (online forms are available). They will investigate and make the school district follow what is in the last IEP signed by you. The schools are not required to reimburse parents for assistive technology, but if the student needs it, they have to provide it. Many of my clients take home after school the devices they use at school, but they have to bring them back each day for school. Schools enter into licensing agreements with software companies. These usually call for the school to pay a fee for each computer on which the software is installed. And some say it can only be installed on school owned computers. This may limit what the school can do for you.

All of these things should be in IEPs. If they are in the last signed one, then the compliance complaint is the way to go.  

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.