Special Education/School board and iep

Question
In ny state do you have to sign an iep?
What if you never consented to it for a year but didn't file due process?
Is there another avenue
What if a parent can't afford due process without going into debt but doesn't want to consent to iep
Lastly if school board won't allow sibling of special needs child to attend same school
(There's plenty of space) in district but not same zone is there somewhere in state we can complain to
That this is arbitrary and capricious? Thanks in advance

Answer
BJ,

It is federal law that an IEP can not be implemented until the parent signs agreeing to it. Schools can file for Due Process against the parents if the IEP is not signed. Most parents don't realize they have "line-it-veto" capability on their child's IEP. This means you can sign the IEP only for those items that you agree to and specifically exclude those you don't agree to.

If you don't consent to the new IEP (or portions of it), the previous IEP (or non-agreed to change  portions of it) stays in force under the legal concept of "stay-put".

Most school districts have policies for various things such as siblings attending the same school. Look to see what your district has. If there is no policy or if you disagree with their policy, you can complain to the New York State Dept. of Education about this. Just make sure the district does not have a valid reason for not having all the children attend the same school (maybe this school can't accommodate the needs of the other children). There also can be the issue of transportation: the district has to provide it for the child with the IEP, but does not have to provide it to siblings that can attend their home school.

Special Education

Tim Runner