Special Education/complaining to state DEADLINE

If you reject an IEP, how long do you have from that day to file a complaint with the state? Thank you.

States have different rules regarding dates, however, most allow at least one complaint per year, with no limitation related to the date of the IEP.  Schools cannot use any IEP for more than 365 days, one day past that is a violation of your child's FAPE (free appropriate public education).  However, they do no have to have you approve...rather, they simply need consensus of the team, of which you are one member, meaning they can override your requests.  Schools typically go much further than the law requires, wanting happy parents, but they don't have to.  This link is to the New York State Department's Q & A.  One question says the time limit is 1 year from the alleged violation.

Contact information is as follows:  Contact Us  

Special Education Policy/ Program Development and Support Services/Due Process/Preschool

New York State Education Department
P-12: Office of Special Education
89 Washington Avenue, Room 309 EB
Albany, New York 12234

Staff Listing

Special Education Quality Assurance

New York State Education Department
P-12: Office of Special Education
Special Education Quality Assurance
89 Washington Avenue, Room 309 EB
Albany, New York 12234

Most questions seem to be in the Q&A, so look it over.  

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop

I have spent nealy 40 years in the area of Special Education. I have had the pleasure of teaching pre-school, elementary, middle, high school and college levels, as well as, served in school district administration buildings in classroom/legal support positions. I have also spent some time working in a State Department of Education Exceptional Student Services Office and am now currently Division Head and Director of Institutional Research at Alice Lloyd College in Pippa Passes, Kentucky. I also teach special education classes on campus. I have also taught full time teacher preparation at Northern Arizona University on the Tucson Campus, Seattle Pacific University, and at the University of Wyoming in Laramie, Wyoming. In addition to that I have taught adjunct at Seattle Pacific University, City University in Seattle, Ashford University, and Grand Canyon University.

I have experienced directly special education legal issues, process and procedure, and have taught at all levels in every special education category except gifted. My major expertise is diagnostic prescriptive teaching, literacy as it relates to disabilities, technology in special education, and Educational Leadership. My greatest passion in the field is building new programs, implementing and doing the research to see how they work. My Dissertation and principle research interest is in the area of inclusive education, primarily co-teaching of students with disabilities in the general education classroom.

Council for Exceptional Children, Association for the Supervision of Curriculum, National Reading Council.

Teaching Exceptional Children, Published computer assisted instruction, titled PAL, Special Education Basics, college Textbook, Teaching with Precision, college Textbook, Various devotionals at the website,

I have a B.A. in Secondary Education, a Masters in Special Education (cross categorical), administrative certification, and a second B.A. in Elementary Education. I completed my doctorate in Educational Leadership at Northern Arizona University.

Best Summer Program in the Nation (Honorable Mention, when I was Teaching) Multiple local awards