Special Education/complaining to state DEADLINE

Question
If you reject an IEP, how long do you have from that day to file a complaint with the state? Thank you.

Answer
States have different rules regarding dates, however, most allow at least one complaint per year, with no limitation related to the date of the IEP.  Schools cannot use any IEP for more than 365 days, one day past that is a violation of your child's FAPE (free appropriate public education).  However, they do no have to have you approve...rather, they simply need consensus of the team, of which you are one member, meaning they can override your requests.  Schools typically go much further than the law requires, wanting happy parents, but they don't have to.  This link is to the New York State Department's Q & A.  One question says the time limit is 1 year from the alleged violation.  

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/quality/complaintqa.htm

Contact information is as follows:  Contact Us  

Special Education Policy/ Program Development and Support Services/Due Process/Preschool

New York State Education Department
P-12: Office of Special Education
89 Washington Avenue, Room 309 EB
Albany, New York 12234
Email: speced@mail.nysed.gov

Staff Listing

Special Education Quality Assurance

New York State Education Department
P-12: Office of Special Education
Special Education Quality Assurance
89 Washington Avenue, Room 309 EB
Albany, New York 12234
Email: seqa@mail.nysed.gov

Most questions seem to be in the Q&A, so look it over.  

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop