Special Education/Manhandling child

Question
My 9 yr old has an iep for spld and ADHD. He's usually well behaved but sometimes
Refuses to do demanding work.  I don't know what happened at school. I just know he didn't
Want to get on the bus. No one called me. They forced him on the bus and he came
Home hysterical saying he will never get on the bus again. We made an agreement he'd take
The morning bus and I'd pick him up. I'm trying to diffuse this. I left an angry message
For the principal and am waiting for a return call. The teacher who called me said he
Was not aggressive until he was "escorted" to the bus rather he wouldn't leave his seat.
I know the problem needs to be addressed but this to me seems utterly wrong.
The weird thing is they once told me they're not Allowed to touch students when my
Son didn't want to go to art. For some reason doesn't like that one class.  He had
Some issue with the aide at the end of the day. It's still unclear. I never speak to her but
From all I've seen she's bossy and controlling. I've told her in brief dialogue that
She should be positive not negative.  It's a bad synergy there. I don't think forcing a 9 year
Old on the bus is a solution and he's totally freaked out by it. It must have been
Very embarrassing too. What can I do?

Answer
Leann,

Behavior issues are very difficult for everyone. The school needs to conduct a Behavior Assessment and develop a Behavior Plan since your son does refuse to follow directions at times. In this assessment they are to determine what are the behaviors, what causes them, and how to handle them when they happen. I encourage you to seek this assessment ASAP. Unfortunately, it takes up to 90 days to conduct this assessment and present the results and the Behavior Plan in an IEP.

If possible, try to get your son to explain what happened from his perspective and what was his reason for refusing to go to the bus. It is possible that something happened on the bus that resulted in his refusal. You may need to have him speak with a counselor to find this out.

You can try to have added to his IEP instructions for allowing him to go to a neutral party at school when he is having problems, such as a school psychologist or RSP teacher so that he knows he has alternatives to just refusing. You can also put in the IEP that you are to be called anytime he refuses to do something he is supposed to do.

You have to be careful in all of this. I have represented students that have learned they can avoid school work by their bad behaviors resulting in them not making education progress.

Schools are legally supposed to not lay hands on a child unless their safety or the safety of others is at risk. There are ways that a school can have permission to lay on hands when nothing else works, but these are supposed to be included in a Behavior Intervention Plan.  

Special Education

Tim Runner