Special Education/Manhandling of student

Question
My 9 yr old has an iep for spld and ADHD. He's usually well behaved but sometimes
Refuses to do demanding work.  I don't know what happened at school. I just know he didn't
Want to get on the bus. No one called me. They forced him on the bus and he came
Home hysterical saying he will never get on the bus again. We made an agreement he'd take
The morning bus and I'd pick him up. I'm trying to diffuse this. I left an angry message
For the principal and am waiting for a return call. The teacher who called me said he
Was not aggressive until he was "escorted" to the bus rather he wouldn't leave his seat.
I know the problem needs to be addressed but this to me seems utterly wrong.
The weird thing is they once told me they're not Allowed to touch students when my
Son didn't want to go to art. For some reason doesn't like that one class.  He had
Some issue with the aide at the end of the day. It's still unclear. I never speak to her but
From all I've seen she's bossy and controlling. I've told her in brief dialogue that
She should be positive not negative.  It's a bad synergy there. I don't think forcing a 9 year
Old on the bus is a solution and he's totally freaked out by it. It must have been
Very embarrassing too. What can I do?

Answer
Typically the process of a student who refuses to get on the bus is to first, call the parent, then encourage, (escort), then call Child Protective Services, as it is possible that 30 minutes after the bus runs there is no one to supervise the child at school.  I don't think forcing him on the bus is appropriate, but then I don't know from your description what they actually did to "force" him on the bus.  Physical restraint should not be used unless the staff are trained and it is a part of his IEP or Behavior Plan.  

I would suggest that you continue to work on getting a opportunity to discuss this with the Principal.  You will get the school's view and a better picture of what actually happened, both on their side and your child's side.  Regardless of whether the Principal responds to your requests I would suggest you ask your child's special education teacher to convene the IEP team so that you can discuss the bus situation, decide whether or not a bus behavior plan is needed and to add transportation as a related service to the IEP.  I don't know if the bus is special transportation or if it is a general run with non disabled students.  If it is a special ed bus, then you want it included in the IEP as a related service.  That makes it a violation of his Free, Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) if the school can't transport him to and from school.  If it is a general education run, then they can refuse to transport which puts the weight back on you.  

As you probably know, an ADHD child needs a teacher who is consistent, warm, matter of fact, and reflects concern, they need to earn the trust of your child more than anything else.  Some of those things might be proper to put in the IEP...perhaps if there are more episodes like this in school that they have not shared with you, you would then want them to do a Behavior analysis and a behavior improvement plan as a part of his IEP.  

I would try the team (IEP) thing first before I began demanding a different teacher.  If this doesn't work don't hesitate to follow up

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop