Special Education/Quick question on IEP

Can you accept an IEP in a way that allows your child to move forward but also allows for you wanting revisions later on?

This is really tricky. Ideally, you want to have the perfect IEP when you sign it. The reason is that if the school attempts to change it in the future in such a way you don't agree with, you can refuse to sign for the changes making the existing IEP the "Stay Put" IEP until you agree to changes. But once you sign an IEP, it becomes not only the current IEP but also the Stay Put IEP if the district does not agree with the changes you want to make in the future.

You do have a line-item-veto on the items in an IEP. For example you can say you agree with everything except for the reduction in services or change in placement the school wants to make. This will keep the old IEP levels in place under Stay Put.

You can put in language that you are only agreeing to this as a Trial IEP for 90 days at which time a new IEP Team Meeting will be held to evaluate the changes. You also have the right to call for an IEP at any time. But either way there are no assurances that the school will agree to the changes you want made at that time. The only time this approach really works is if the school wants to reduce services or change placement at this time. You can sign the IEP stating, "I only agree to the (spell out the changes) for a 90 day trial. At that time this IEP will resort to the previous IEP (spell out the old levels). I can't guarantee this will work without looking at case law in your state, but I have used it in other states.

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.