Special Education/Anxiety 504


My son is having a 504 plan written for him.  He does better when he knows what is ahead of him.  I would like them to include defining who his teacher is at the end of the school year so he knows his placement for the next year.  Cant his be done?

Hi Heather,
A 504 plan cannot specify a teacher because the plan is for the child no matter where they attend school. Some teacher assignments change over the summer as well. Finally, sometimes the classes and what teachers will be teaching what classes/grades is often work that is completed over the summer. So, while it may not be feasible to know at the end of the year, you could request a brief meeting before school starts once teacher assignments are published. In my experience, this is usually a week or two before school starts.
Best of luck,

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Potts


I can answer most questions related to psychological evaluations including an explanation of the scores and the assessment measures. I can also answer most questions regarding special education eligibility, response to intervention (RtI), and recommendations and interventions for specific areas of disability including intellectual disability, learning disability, emotional and behavioral disorders, other health impaired, autism, and pervasive developmental disorder. I can also answer questions regarding Individual Education Plans (IEPs), and parent rights. I cannot determine if a child has a disability or not based on anecdotal information or assessment scores.


As a graduate student, I interned at a psychoeducational facility for students with severe emotional and behavioral disorders as well as other disorders including specific learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, and autism. Following my internship, I was hired full-time there as a school psychologist and worked there for several years. Since then I have worked as a regular school psychologist in a district mostly completing psychological evaluations and consulting with the Student Support Team (SST). I currently work as a contract psychologist for several metro Atlanta counties.

The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) The Student Support Team Association for Georgia Educators (SSTAGE)

My undergraduate degree is from the University of Georgia in Psychology. I have an M.Ed. and Ed.S. from Georgia State University. I recently completed my Educational Leadership Certificate at West Georgia University.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]