Special Education/Asst tech q

I have an IPAD from the school. It's theirs, how Is this assstuve tech? They Loan these to regular students starting in third grade.  No software. They said if I provide my own IPAD I won't be reimbursed any software even if they agree its useful  and would get for their IPAD.  I don't understand law on assistive tech.  They don't backup IPAD and I can't.  I am making all kinds of data on it for my daughter and they do almost nothing! How is this reasonable? I have never gotten any apps from them except baby junk stuff.  I have spent $300 trying to find tryout decent apps.  What can I do? If anything.  They also messed up settings doing I don't know what and I lost a big chunk of data I made for my son.  I had to spend hours redoing it. How is this reasonable? I'm losing my sanity With amount of work I do

You don't state whether your son has an IEP. If he does, they should have a specific reason for loaning him an iPad and they should supply the necessary aps for this reason. Legally, it is the school's property. Anything you do on it is not their responsibility nor are they obligated to protect what you enter into it. Maybe you can backup your stuff in the cloud?

My suggestion is that you find out why the school is supplying what you call "baby junk stuff"?
Then see if you can have them provide more advanced aps. The final decision is theirs. Sorry.

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.