Special Education/PE for autistic children in grades 4/5

Question
I am being asked to teach special day class students (autistic)  physical education. I have a regular ed credential and a Supplemental PE credential...NOT adaptive PE. I have no formal training for teaching these children and find myself frequently lost. Do you know if it is legal under Ed codes in California for me to be teaching these children by myself?  I am overwhelmed! Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answer
There is no certification for adaptive PE, although it would be a good idea.  Because of that there is no legal reason a district can't have a PE certified teacher teach the course.  However, if those students have IEP goals in adaptive PE, you would need Special Education endorsement to be the "teacher of record."  

My take is that the school is not violating the law, but not really caring about the overall education of students with some unique needs.  At a minimum they should provide you with some training and support for this a part of those disabled children's education.  

Here are a couple of websites with potential activities:  http://www.pinterest.com/cyndeejean1/adapted-pe/
http://www.pecentral.org/autism.pdf

There seem to be a lot of resources on the web, I searched "Adapted PE for Autistic Children."

I would talk to your administrator about getting some assistance...perhaps the teacher of the autistic children has some insight.

Norm

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop