Special Education/Physical therapy goals

Question
My son gets pt. I asked for goals related to physical education. They said goals can
Only be related to strengthening and safety. Is this correct? Previous Pts worked on ball skills
And he got pt as a service bc pt said he was behind in gym skills. What can I do
They just say no. They have one pt goal just one and it's kind of meaningless

Answer
Dear Lisa,

Thanks so much for writing to me!  To answer your specific questions, I will write them and answer them.  Then I will invite you to expand your advocacy to include more specialized instruction and related services for your child.  

The school team says goals can only be in certain areas.  That is not correct.  Goals can be individualized and should be individualized.  Ask for the written policy whenever you hear 'we don't do that'.  PT goals can be a wide variety of areas that are required for your child to access curriculum and make progress in the general education curriculum.  So it will be important for you to know the physical education curriculum so that you can know what the demand is, and work backward to see where your child needs goals.  

Also, it is critically important that the IEP is based on assessments and classroom data and information.  So if you don't have a current evaluation in this area (PT, physical education, adaptive PE), please formally ask for them to be completed.  In my Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book, you will find a sample letter how to effectively request an evaluation.  Or, you can obtain a private evaluation and the school must consider it.  

But perhaps your child needs adaptive Physical education services.  Maryland does a nice job explaining this in this manual:
http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/NR/rdonlyres/84C4C717-B8FF-486B-8659-79F297

APE is a service designed to assure a child's access to the PE curriculum.  Without knowing more about your child, the nature of your child's disability and how this area affects him, I am not sure I can provide more meaningful information.  But I am happy to answer a follow up question if you'd like to give me some more specific information.  

I hope this answer helps you to start the school year off well and continue advocating for your child! I wish you all the best!  

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.