Special Education/Tech q

I have an IPAD from the school. It's theirs, how Is this assstuve tech? They Loan these to regular students starting in third grade.  No software. They said if I provide my own IPAD I won't be reimbursed any software even if they agree its useful  and would get for their IPAD.  I don't understand law on assistive tech.  They don't backup IPAD and I can't.  I am making all kinds of data on it for my daughter and they do almost nothing! How is this reasonable? I have never gotten any apps from them except baby junk stuff.  I have spent $300 trying to find tryout decent apps.  What can I do? If anything.  They also messed up settings doing I don't know what and I lost a big chunk of data I made for my son.  I had to spend hours redoing it. How is this reasonable?

Hello, JFK,

THanks so much for a great question and for using this service.  Here is a nice article I think will assist you.  

The first thing I would like you to do is look at your child's assistive technology evaluation.  If there isn't one, there likely needs to be.  Then, I would like you to look at every line in your child's IEP to determine what is stated in the IEP related to the use of the iPad or other devices.  If there is nothing there, or if it is vague, your first task is to either get an evaluation, or revise the IEP to specifically state what your child needs.  The school, if it's in the IEP, should be directing the instruction, use, maintenance, and all issues related to this while teaching you what to do.  Keep your recipts because you may want to ask for reimbursement for your costs, IF the iPad is tied to your child's FREE appropriate public education.  If all children get one, then it may not be an IEP issue, when it should be.  

I would encourage the use of a cloud based saving system if possible or other online or secure way of storing the data as I know how frustrating that can be.  

I hope this ansswer has helped you in advocating for your child, and thank you again for using this service and writing to me!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.