Special Education/Services follow up

Question
My son has tourettes. I think all tics are either tourettes or a milder tic disorder or
Rheumatic or Parkinson's. I think if autism is with tics it's comorbid
We know what causes tics it's a nt imbalance in all cases but cause may be infection
Or genetic. But in any case my son has tourettes and typically it worsens first
Then gets better w age in most cases.  My son tics on and off. Sometimes
In class.  Sometimes it's so bad I worry he'll get sore. This is why I asked about
Pt or ot and also am looking into it privately.  All the movements are upper body which
Is typical

Answer
Hello, HJ,

Thank you for clarifying in a follow up that your son does have Tourette's Disorder. I feel that a functional behavior assessment, occupational therapy assessment with sensory components, and a thorough psychological evaluation may be warranted.  I am not sure you will get very far with asking for Physical Therapy in the school systems, but certainly private PT may be warranted.  All interventions should start with a good evaluation.  The functional behavior assessment is a group data collection activity, which can show under what conditions, if any, the tics are worse.  This is to develop a behavior intervention plan that may include breaks, exercises, etc.  Many of the families I work with also look into neurofeedback, and other alternate types of interventions but these are rarely able to be done by school staff.  The occupational therapy is a related service, which means your son NEEDS it IN ORDER TO BENEFIT from his special education program and receive a free appropriate public education.  Again, evaluations must lead the way so that we can track progress and be sure the interventions have evidence behind them to work successfully for your son.  

I hope this has helped you and I wish you the best as you advocate for him.  Stay in touch and let me know how he's doing.  

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.