Special Education/special needs child

my son is being denied a fape, bipolar, learning disorder, low level autism, what can i do???

Hello, and thank you for writing to me! I will better be able to answer your question if you can tell me about why your son is being denied a free appropriate public education. The short answer is that if you believe your son is being denied a free appropriate public education you can either continue to work with the school team by providing the school team with additional information to consider, you could ask for a second opinion evaluation, you could go to a mediation, or a due process hearing, or you could make a state complaint. If you would like more specific advice, please tell me the specific situation that's happening and why you think he is being denied a free appropriate public education. Thank you again for writing and for your advocacy for your son. I wish you all the best!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.