Special Education/Homework load

Hi. I read the last email.
I did find an article in Finland about their tiny homework load and high academic achievement.
Can you point me to research on homework and academic achievement.
How would you ask for the weeks homework at once and for a reduction?
My child too has ADHD. He does better doing a homework spurt then having break days.
He's so tired after school and a long bus ride.

Dear Jayne,

Thank you for such a great question on homework.  Homework that is at a frustration level can affect negatively a child's attitude toward school, family relationships, and anxiety.  If your child has a 504 Plan or IEP, make the request for adjustment in writing, and if possible, back it up by a written recommendation from a doctor or psychologist/therapist. You could say something like this:  Team, I am requesting the following accommodations for my child, which are needed for him to receive a free appropriate public education (then list the accommodation). You could also meet with the team at school to develop a plan to limit the time spent or amount of homework, along with a communication system that everyone agrees to use. Too much time on homework also limits the child's ability to spend time in enjoyable extracurricular activities that tap into the child's strengths.  Lastly, you may want to look to technology to assist your child in being more productive.  But if you have to re-teach and sit with your child for homework, it is unlikely to improve achievement and gives teachers a false idea of your child's present levels of performance.  Here are some interesting links on the subject:

Has this answered your question?  I hope so!  If not, please follow up with me.  Thank you so much for writing to me and I wish you all the BEST as you advocate for your exceptional child's education!  

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.