Special Education/OCD and homeschool

Question
Thank you much!!! The answer was so helpful!  I know that there are places where kids are partially schooled. But I don't know if they do some full days or partial days. What do you think is preferable? Do you know the laws that govern partial attendance? I know some homeschooling parents have districts who work with them and allow kids in part time for some school or sports? I just don't know what goes on there.

Answer
Preferable depends on the child and the circumstances in school.  I do think the most important part is to reduce the day with a plan to increase it at what you think is a reasonable rate.  

Homeschooling is regulated by each State, usually the Department of Education.  The rules vary greatly from state to state.  Some require an annual test, others require a professional teacher or administrator to evaluate what is done, etc.  In Washington State, where I worked 22 years, we allowed homeschooled children to participate in school activities, such as sports, plays, etc.  We also allowed the homeschooled students to enroll in classes, especially things like science where the parents can't reproduce the labs, or higher level math, which gets pretty complex for most parents.  In my district we had created an alternative program specifically for homeschooled part-dayers.  We completed funded the program through state money, claiming the fraction the child was in our schools.  There should be someone in your local school district that can explain how homeschooling works in your state, I would start there by simply calling the district switchboard and asking if you can talk to whomever is in charge of home schooling.  

The laws around partial attendance vary as well, as it is all connected to attendance.  If the child has an IEP, then the school can claim full funds based on the fact that the IEP defines the child's free appropriate public education.  

In your case, I would talk first with your child's IEP Team and see if they would consider an IEP based program.  While you are doing that, research home schooling.  If the school won't consider a part day, then I would look to home schooling.  

My most successful experience with this was when I was tutoring.  I had a young lady in the third grade who was dyslexic and not a very good reader.  She could sound any word, but couldn't blend it into a word and knew only about 12 sight words.  First I tutored her in the evenings a couple of times a week. Progress was slow.  The parents discovered something called Lindemood Bell who were making great progress through a sound based program...they sent the child to a clinic and she made some real good measurable progress.  They continued to get my service, Lindemood Bell's service and a day to day tutor (all of this was under Washington State Home Schooling).  The parents paid me, Lindemood Bell and the other tutor.  I coordinated what was happening with the parents.  These parents home schooled her until she entered 6th grade (middle school)...by then she had gained enough skill to be considered on grade level.  With some support tutoring here and there she graduated high school with honors and attended college, I think she probably finished college by now.  The parents said, "might as well spend her college fund, if we don't she won't ever have the opportunity to go to college."  

I only really know the laws surrounding Washington State and Arizona, I believe most would be similar.

Special Education

Dr. Norm Bishop