Special Education/tech eval follow up q

Question
I thought the IDEA provision was the law. Why should an O.T. and not a speech pathologist evaluate my son for assistive tech? My son has no O.T. problems! Also she never stated the school was providing software, she stated they are providing hardware. But what is the hardware without the software? I want to file a complaint but I don't know where or how. My son has an Ipad with no useful software on it. It's just for notes going back and forth! Thanks.

Answer
Dear Beth,

Are you reacting to one of the links or resources I sent you by saying that your child does not need an OT involved in assessing his AT needs?  Or did the school indicate that the OT will or should do the evaluation?

My best advice without knowing the whole situation is to ask for the independent evaluation. You can file a complaint to the State or to the Office of Civil Rights.  

This may help you...it's a form that you can file that is available online.  When a parent disputes the findings of the school district, the parent can request mediation, file a state complaint, ask for a hearing, or ask for an independent evaluation.  The parent can also ask for a facilitated IEP meeting.  

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/publications/policy/covercomplaint.htm

OCR takes discrimination complaints:

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/howto.pdf

I hope this follow up answers your questions.  If you would like to consider hiring my services, email abc4success@msn.com so I can look at your son's evaluations and plan and help guide you more specifically.  

I wish you all the best as you advocate for your exceptional child's education.  And, thank you again for writing to me!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.