Special Education/bus ride

Question
My daughter is 9 and special ed.  Her bus ride is 45 minutes to a school 5 minutes from me. Is there anything I can do? She is horribly exhausted in the morning. They told me it's fair because she's the first dropoff but I don't see how that makes it fair.

Answer
Dear Clara,

Thank you first of all for using this service and for asking an important and common question.

My first thought is to explore whether non-disabled children in your neighborhood are bussed to school. The reason I am thinking about this is two fold. First, the child with a disability should not be discriminated against just because she needs special transportation. Second, if children in the neighborhood are bussed, could your daughter get on a general education school bus, with or without supports?

My next thought is to ask a doctor or other professional to document that she is exhausted and it is affecting her learning.

And, I think you should try to contact the special education transportation supervisor to see if the route can be changed.

If you can drive her to school, you may also be entitled to compensation for mileage or costs for appropriate transportation.  

I would bring this up to the IEP team, and check with the teacher about how her being so tired from the bus ride is adversely affecting her education.  I think this, not 'fair', is the standard for a free appropriate public education.

Perhaps if you can find other parents with this same problem, the group of you could go to the Board of Ed or Principal and make a case for changes to be made.  

Here is a link to the US DOE on the subject:
http://idea.ed.gov/explore/view/p/%2Croot%2Cdynamic%2CQaCorner%2C12%2C

If your daughter is spending 90 minutes per day on the bus, you should also ask the school district for its policy on the maximum time appropriate for special education transportation.

I hope these ideas have helped you as you advocate for your child's education! Thank you again for writing to me, and feel free to follow up if I have not answered your question.

Thank you!  

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.