Special Education/Services

How can you help parents if you never met a child?
We require help formulating accommodatiins for son with adhd, moderate. He is smart in math and reading but cannot sit well. He currently has no technology which is bad

Hello, Sarah,

Thank you for writing to me and for using this valuable service! I can help parents when I have not met the child because I gather information from multiple data sources. I can also meet the child via Skype, videos, and I can send an observer to school, or observe in school myself. I typically interview parents, family and school staff. I also interview professionals who know the child's strengths and needs. I review records and use a variety of sources to understand the child's needs.  I also have over 27 years of experience, including being a graduate level professor, presenting at conferences, researching and writing books and overall being aware and expert in evidence based methods. I have helped developed or developed countless IEPs and 504 Plans. I am familiar with laws as well, although I am not an attorney.

It is important that parents obtain evaluations in all areas of suspected or known needs, such as the area of technology, to show what a child needs.  If you would like to provide me with more detail or have a free consultation by phone, please email me. abc4success@msn.com or follow up here on this site.  Thank you again for contacting me! I hope I have helped you as you advocate for your exceptional child's education.  

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.

I can answer questions about disability definitions and criteria for services, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act 2004, No Child Left Behind, 504 plans, how to craft an IEP that drives the appropriate services, school placement, dispute options, and least restrictive environment. I worked in the public school system as a special educator and am now in private consulting practice where we assist parents as they navigate the special education process. I have expertise in all educational disabilities except blind/visual impairments and deaf/hard of hearing. This includes ADHD and other health impairments, medical conditions, dyslexia and learning disabilities, Autism, emotional disabilities, language processing problems, and interfering behaviors.

10 years as special educator and administrator in public school system; Director of ABCs for Life Success since 1998; Expert services such as analysis and testimony; Author: Special Needs Advocacy Resource Book: What you can do now to advocate for your exceptional child's education; Special Needs Advocacy Training Institute; internet radio show Teach Your Children Well: Hot Topics in Education; author School Success for Kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders released March 2010 (Prufrock Press).

Masters in Special Education with Emphasis on Inclusive Education (Johns Hopkins University); B.S.in Special Education (James Madison University); Conduct training for Universities, public and private schools, parent groups. Adjunct professor current George Washington University and prior George Mason University.