Special Education/Testing

Question
Curious what kind of testing accommodations parents ask for.
Is there any alternate testing.
My son is awful at fill ins right now but does well with
Multiple choice. He just cannot express himself enough now for the
Fill in.

Answer
Hello, LM,

Thank you for writing to me and for using this service! The basic answer to your question is YES, the accommodations for a child with a disability for testing should be individualized.

If your son has problems with filling in bubbles on a scantron sheet, or writing words to fill in the blanks, the accommodations can include:
Writing in the test booklet the letter of the answer
Having an adult check his responses
Having a place holder or window that keeps only the correct line in his sight/visual area
Allowing him to circle the multiple choice answer
Allowing him to verbally dictate answers to an adult who would write the answers
Providing multiple choice instead of fill in
Giving a word bank where he can circle the word answer
Allowing him to type instead of write by hand

The accommodations must be individualized for him. So, this is not an exhaustive list. If you would like to give me more information, I may be able to be more specific.

I hope this answer has helped you as you advocate for your exceptional child's education! Thank you again for writing and using this service!

Special Education

Michelle R. Davis, M. Ed.