Special Education/Food Allergies- Severe

Hi, I have a daughter with severe peanut allergy. The school is aware of it. It's not a peanut free school. My daughter has a bracelet and there's an EpiPen at school. She knows not to trade or share anything at lunch. My concern is the class parties where there's huge amount of food and messes and I don't want to hurt my daughter and make her miss partiesbut when I attended a class party where parents were invited, the chaos was off putting and I was scared something could happen with the food. Any ideas?

Peanut allergies are very serious. I represent students with this condition. You daughter should have a Medical Plan prepared by a district nurse and containing the doctor's orders for what to do in case of an alergic reaction. It needs to include specific instruction about when to call paramedics. My kids' doctors say they should be called when ever the EpiPen is administered. People in the school office or the teacher need to be trained in administering The EpiPen. She should have a 504 Plan or an IEP. You need to make sure everyone working with her is aware of her condition and that they review her Medical Plan.

Parties are a major challenge. The only safe way is for you to be there watching out for your daughter. School personnel are going to be too occupied to help much. And most people don't know how many foods contain peanut something.

More and more districts are setting up peanut free schools because this allergy is so common. Maybe you can see about rounding up other parents in your district to see if you can make this happen.  

Special Education

Tim Runner

Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.

I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.